First Nations Communities READ is an annual reading program that was launched in 2003 by the First Nations public library community in Ontario.
What does First Nations Communities READ do?:
- encourages family literacy, intergenerational storytelling, and intergenerational information sharing
- are written and/or illustrated by, or otherwise involve the participation of a First Nations, Metis or Inuit creator;
- contain First Nation, Metis, or Inuit content produced with the support of First Nation, Metis, or Inuit advisers/consultants or First Nation, Metis or Inuit endorsement.
Through title selections, other recommendations, and creators tours in First Nation communities, First Nation Communities READ:
- encourages family literacy, intergenerational storytelling, and intergenerational information sharing;
- increases awareness of the relevance and importance of First Nations, Metis and Inuit writing, illustration and publishing
- promotes the publication, sharing, and understanding of First Nation, Metis, and Inuit voices and experiences;
- increases awareness and sales of the titles it honours
First Nation Communities READ relies on:
- annual funding from the Government of Canada
- coordination support from Southern Ontario Library Service
- responsiveness of publishers to the annual call for title nominations
- a volunteer jury of First Nation libraries
- a volunteer jury of First Nation librarians
- in kind support from organizations, including the Ontario Library Association, Goodminds.com, and Quill & Quire;
- the participation of public libraries and broader public
First Nation Communities READ funding supports:
- the purchase and distribution of copies of the selected title to First Nation public libraries in Ontario;
- the design, printing, and distribution, to all public libraries in Ontario, of a poster promoting the selected titled and other worthy nominations
- the printing of First Nations Communities READ book stickers;
- readings, book giveaways, and signings at conferences and events
- First Nations Communities READ publishes and sends out an annual call to publishers for title nominations.