Shameless is looking for a Publisher, Fundraising. Are you devoted to grassroots publishing? Do you have a commitment to anti-oppression and inclusive feminist politics? Do you have some time to volunteer and a vision to make Shameless financially sustainable? Then we need you!
We are looking for a smart, sassy, shameless person to take on this position. The Publisher, Fundraising will work with the Publisher, Operations, to ensure that the business side of Shameless is running smoothly and strategically.
All tasks are done in collaboration with the Publisher, Operations and the Shameless team:
· Collaborates with the Publisher, Operations and the Editorial Director on strategic planning for Shameless
· Develops fundraising plans and works with the team to implement them
· Oversees the implementation of fundraising plans, including: drafting fundraising asks/packages for potential donors; approaching potential donors; researching foundations or other funders to approach; working with our amazing network of supporters to raise our profile; coordinating the Hall of Shameless, our sustainers program; supporting the planning of fundraising events; and researching grants.
· Represents the website and/or the magazine at profile raising and fundraising events
The ideal candidate will:
· Have an understanding of and commitment to Shameless’s mandate
· Have excellent communication skills
· Be super organized
· Be comfortable with talking to people about money and supporting Shameless!
· Be comfortable keeping people motivated and on-track with fundraising
· Be available for monthly business meetings
· Work well with a team
· Previous experience in fundraising is desirable, but not necessary
· Previous experience with grant writing desirable, but not necessary
We are looking for people who work well collaboratively, who have a good sense of Shameless’s editorial vision, who are committed to anti-racist feminist politics, and who are excellent communicators and work well over email. (Shameless has no office.)
All positions at Shameless are part-time, requiring 5-10 hours per week. Most people who work on the magazine do so outside of regular business hours, and meetings will likely be held during evenings and weekends.
Like all roles at this volunteer-run magazine, this position is unpaid. (One role of the Co-Publisher, Fundraising is to generate income for Shameless so that we are able to pay staff and contributors in the future.)
We strongly encourage applications from women and trans people of colour and Indigenous women and trans people, queer and gender-queer folks, and those with experience with anti-racist feminist politics and/or anti-racist feminist organizations. A strong preference will be given to residents of the Greater Toronto Area to facilitate face-to-face meetings with magazine staff.
Please email a resume and a cover letter addressing your suitability for the position, and no more than three writing samples – something relevant to the position, like a newsletter or fundraising letter, would be ideal – to email@example.com.
We will start reviewing applications on Tuesday, February 12, but continue accepting applications until the position is filled.